It's gotta be the shoes!
I often say flash tuning are sold like Jordans.
A fundamentally technical & technological product that gives us an edge yet very few of us actually understand the wizardry involved. Some tuners downloaded their files from “somewhere” and sell it for cheap, others just boost throttle mappings for some placebo.
And we fall for it.
Read more about how I discovered Infinity Auto Design and its head of product; Salman. I also give my first impressions on Stage 1 tuning and the process to getting it tuned
Developed by the Grand-Daddy of S85 tuning: Sal.
Salman Janjua is the previous owner of Evolve and known for having developed some of the most popular, quality products for the S85.
The Infinity Auto Design DME tune has been offered for over 10 years across various different brands and tuners using Sal's tunes. It is the longest running tune with cars across the world flawlessly and delivering unrivalled drivability and performance.
He developed the tuning files on multiple company and personal owned cars both on road and dyno.
"Like caffeine for your V10"
The BMW S85 engine responds incredibly well to tuning with changes made to ignition, VANOS and torque maps. Power gains are felt and measured throughout the RPM range accompanied by sharper throttle response and a smoother overall power delivery.
A realistic and repeatable peak 30hp @ 7800rpm gain with 20lb.ft @ 6250rpm torque is achieved with a peak gain of 35hp @ 8000rpm when primary catalytic converters are already removed.
Dyno graph of stage 2
Improved Fuel Consumption (seriously)
Our thirsty beasts will never be Prius, but 20 liter to 100km has always been a completely ridiculous number.
The stage 1 tune on my S85 noticeably reduce consumption - no jokes! I am never frequently able to hit 400km on a 60 liter tank.
I can live with 15 liter to a 100km.
Tuning is often offered in "stages", it's a useful rule of thumbs. Here's how Sal defines his stages.
Numbers are based on stock S85 dynojet figures of 430whp.
|Stage #||Required Modifications||Expected Peak Power|
|1||None. I highly recommend the sealed air intakes.||450whp|
|2||Primary cat deletes & aftermarket long tube headers.||470 to 475whp|
|3||Optimized for V3 long-tube, equal length headers. Further mid-range gains of 10whp 4000 to 6000rpm.||490 to 500whp|
|3+||Custom tuning for S85s with cams, strokers and/or superchargers.||Case by case.|
- Compatible with AlphaN and MAF modes
- Raised RPM limit to 8500rpm
- VMax Limit removal
- Cold start delete
- Power calibrations with changes made to ignition, fuel, torque and VANOS maps
- Comes with tuning device, OBD2 cable and USB cable.
- Once your order is completed & paid, Sal will communicate with you to validate your tune specifications.
- Once you receive the included hardware, follow the accompanied instructions.
- Summary of instructions
- Extract the OEM DME file using the OBD2 Cable & Tuning device.
- Install tuning software to your PC (not Mac compatible).
- Upload your OEM DME file to your PC using the software.
- Email the file to Sal.
- Wait 1-2 business days.
- Download the new tuned DME file to your computer.
- Upload to your tuning device.
- Plug into OBD2, turn on the ignition, flash your vehicle.
*during the flashing process, it is normal to see lights, warnings and other electronic signals. It last a minute or two.
- Turn off ignition, unplug the tuning devine.
- Start your S85, and enjoy.